This is the love child of the Big Mac and one of my fave sandwiches - the Reuben. It is a match made in HEAVEN! Saddled with a deep fried ranch chip covered spiral pickle...say it with me...Yes Please!
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2.5 Tbsp ketchup
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp green relish
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
1/3 cup diced white onion
1 large kosher dill
300gm ranch flavoured tortilla chips
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 Tbsp ranch dressing
1 Tbsp sliced green onion
2 slices rye bread
2 tsp grainy mustard
4 slices Swiss cheese
200gm Montreal smoked meat
3 Tbsp Sourkraut
2 Tbsp Soft butter
1 litre vegetable oil for frying
- Build the Mac sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and mixing well. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place the oil in a heavy bottomed pot and place over medium heat until it registers approximately 350 F. This make take about 10 minutes.
- Place the pickle on a wooden skewers. With a paring knife run the knife at an angle around the pickle so that it touch the wooden skewer and creates a corkscrew affect. Pull the pickle open like an accordion.
- Place the buttermilk into a large flat bottomed dish and submerge the skewered pickle in the buttermilk
- Place the ranch chips, flour and corn starch in a blender or food processor and blitz until crumbly and well combined. Place this mixture into another flat bottomed dish big enough to submerge the skewered pickle in.
- Plug in your grill press or heat your grill pan.
- Once the oil is to temperature, remove the pickle from the buttermilk, letting the excess drip off. Submerge it into the ranch chip mixture and coat the pick well pressing the chips into the pickle so that it is well coated.
- Gently lower the pickles into the oil and allow to cook until golden brown.
- When it is done, remove the pickle and let it rest on paper towel to remove excess oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Build your sandwich.
- Place grainy mustard on the inside of both slices of rye bread.
- Spread Mac sauce from corner to corner on both slices of bread.
- Place two slices of cheese on each side of the rye bread.
- Top on side of the sandwich with your smoked meat.
- Add sauerkraut and close the sandwich.
- Spread soft butter on the outside of the sandwich – both sides.
- Place onto you press or into you skillet and cook until golden and toasty on the outside. If you are using a skillet weigh it down with a heavy skillet on top to really press it into the pan. Flip and repeat until both sides are done.
- Serve the sandwich with the pickle and a side of ranch dipping sauce.