If a person could fall in love with a dish at just one bite - then this is what happened to me when I first tried mushroom risotto. It is everything you want in a dish. It is creamy, it is flavourful, it is decadent and it is so so SO simple to make. Trust me - try this one time and you will be hooked.
8 cups dried mixed mushrooms4 cups water4 cups vegetable broth1 white onion chopped5 cloves garlic, chopped2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped2 cups Aborio rice1/2 cup white wine2 Tbsp Butter1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, gratedJuice of 1/2 lemonOlive oilSaltPepper1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Place the dried mushrooms in a pot and cover with water and vegetable stock. Place over medium low heat and steep for 10-15 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Allow to cool.
- Strain out the broth into a large heavy bottomed pot and reserve the mushrooms.
- Chop the onions and garlic and divide in two.
- Place the pot of mushroom broth over medium heat and warm up.
- Chop the reserved mushrooms into bite sized pieces.
- Place a clean heavy bottomed pot over high heat.
- Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chopped steeped mushrooms. Let them sit for 1-2 minutes to develop a crust before stirring.
- Add half of the onions and garlic and season with salt. Cook for another 1 -2 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Add Aborio rice and toast in the hot oil, stirring often. Cook for 3 minutes until you see the rice start to change colour.
- Add white wine and stir often until wine has reduced and been soaked up into the rice and mushrooms.
- Add a cup of broth to the rice, and stirring regularly, allow the rice to drink up the broth. Once the rice has soaked up the liquid, add another cup of broth. Gradually add the broth one cup at a time waiting for it to be absorbed before adding the next cup.
- If you are making in advance, remove the risotto from the heat when there is 1-2 cups of broth left.
- Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment and pour the risotto into the baking pan. Allow to cool, then cover until ready to finish. Use within 24 hours.
- To finish, place a pot over medium high heat.
- Add 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Add fresh mushrooms and sear. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add remaining onions and garlic.
- Cook for two minutes before adding remaining broth.
- Using the parchment to help – transfer the risotto into the broth and mushroom mixture and combine. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until warmed through.
- Add butter and parmesan cheese and mix through
- Add parsley and juice of half a lemon.
- Serve while hot.
chef spencer in action!