What is more over the top than a light golden pastry bowl filled with sweet and nutty ice-cream? NOTHING! This is over the top, decadent, fun and just plain happiness on a plate.
1 cup (250 ml) water
100 g unsalted butter
1 Tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup flour, sifted
1 Egg (egg wash)
4 Cups vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup peanuts
1/4 milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup caramel pieces
1/4 cup butterscotch sauce
1/4 cup chocolate sauce
Preheat the oven to 425 F (220 C)
- Place the water into a sauce pan with, butter, sugar, and salt. Stir as the butter melts and make sure the sugar is fully combined. Bring to a boil.
- Add the flour and mix – the mixture will be sticky.
- Place the sticky dough into a stand mixer.
- Add whole eggs one at a time with the mixer on med low. Check the consistency after the first 3 eggs by lifting the dough with a spoon. It should stretch before breaking. If the dough is stiff – incorporate the 4th egg stirring only as much as is necessary to make a soft peak when you lift it.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a medium tip or into a plastic bag using the corner as a tip.
- Place a silpat or a piece of parchment on a baking sheet. Pipe the dough into a medium sized ball (about the size of a medium sized apple). Wet the back of a spoon and tap the top down to ensure that it cooks into a nice shaped ball. Repeat to make 4 balls well spaced out on the sheet.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash and bake until golden – 20-30 minutes.
- Remove carefully and place on a rack to cool.
- Place 4 cups of slightly softened vanilla ice cream into a mixer. Add butterscotch and chocolate chips, peanuts and caramel pieces and mix lightly to incorporate but not over mix.
- Scoop on cup of the mixture into four plastic lined ramekins and re-freeze until hardened.
- Cut the cooked and cut profiterole in half. Place the ice cream between the two halve and create a sandwich. Top with chocolate sauce, butterscotch sauce and sprinkle with additional chips and peanuts as desired…now DIG IN!
chef spencer in action!