Fried cheese? Yes Please! Not all cheeses are created equal when it comes to frying, but fried Saganaki is a winner every time. It gets crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside and tastes oh so good! This is a snack you gotta try!
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
salt to taste
3 Tbsp red onion
2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
fresh basil leaves
- Remove the wrapper from the cheese
- Place a splash of water on a plate and dampen the cheese slightly on all sides.
- Dredge in flour on sides and faces of cheese – just a light coating, dusting off the excess.
- Place olive oil into a pan over medium high heat
- Place cheese into the oil
- Melt some butter into a skillet and place pita down on the butter. Use another pan to weight it down and press it into the heat for 1 minute until golden and toasted
- Remove the pita from the pan and season with salt, paprika and oregano while the bread is still warm. Slice into wedges
- Dice onion
- Plate golden brown cheese and top with onion.
- Drizzle with balsamic and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh basil.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and serve.
chef spencer in action!