Sweet and creamy and ridiculously decadent - this dessert is indulgent and you deserve it!
1 cup white sugar
¼ cup (60ml) water
1 Tbsp butter
8 cups popped pop corn
10 egg yolks
¼ cup white sugar (optional depending on how sweet you like your crème Brulee)
4 cups (1 L) cream
8 cups caramel popcorn
3/4 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp (30ml) water
Cook time: 35-45 minutes
Prepare the Caramel Popcorn
- Place popcorn on a parchment lined baking tray in a thin layer
- Place sugar and water in a small pot cook over medium heat until sugar turns a light brown caramel colour, do not stir.
- Remove from heat and add butter and swish around until all incorporated
- Carefully pour caramel over popcorn, allow to cool to room temperature
Prepare the Crème Brûlée
- Preheat over to 300 degrees F.
- Warm cream in heavy bottomed pot until simmering, remove from heat add caramel popcorn and allow to steep for 5 minutes
- Strain the cream and popcorn mix through a fine mesh strainer
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy-roughly 1 minute
- Slowly pour the hot infused cream into the egg yolks, whisking constantly
- Fill your small baking dishes (ramekins) with the crème brûlée mix
- Place the ramekins into a larger baking dish that has 1 inch of hot water in the bottom, cover loosely with aluminium foil and bake in oven for 30-45 minutes, or until the crème brûlée is set. (To test this, give the brulee’s a little wiggle and if they are no longer liquid in the middle, they are ready. They should still have a little wiggle but not be liquid.)
- Remove from larger baking dish and cool in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
Prepare the Caramel Topping
chef spencer in action!