If you love tender chicken with great flavour and a gentle kick - this is the dish for you. Juicy and delicious - it is a simple meal the whole family will enjoy.
1 whole chicken, cleaned and halved
3 cups (750ml) buttermilk
3 cloves garlic-minced
1 lemon zested or peeled
1 Tbsp of old bay seasoning
2 Tbsp taco sauce or hot sauce
1 Tbsp thyme-chopped
2 Tbsp parsley- chopped
½ tsp pepper ground
Prep time: 4-12 hours including marinating
Cook time: 45-60 minutes
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Place chicken halves in a shallow dish and cover with the marinade
- Place in fridge for 4-12 hours to marinate
- Preheat BBQ to high heat
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towel, allow the chicken to come to room temperature (30 minutes)
- Coat the chicken evenly with pan spray or olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Place on grill skin side down and cook until skin is charred, roughly 4 minutes then quarter turn and grill for another 4 minutes
- Turn off half of the grill, flip chicken and place meat side down on the off side of the grill that’s off. continue the cook indirectly for 30-45 minutes until juices run clear or you reach an internal temperature of 170 degrees Fahrenheit with a meat thermometer at the deepest part of the thigh not touching the bone.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes to let the chicken cool and re-absorb the juices.
Chipotle corn bread with cinnamon honey butter and potato and green bean salad.
chef spencer in action!