This cast-iron cooked cornbread is slightly sweet, dense and crumbly and when you let the salty cinnabutter melt into the pockets of this cake is is next level delicious. This is a must try!
Honey cinnamon butter
6oz unsalted butter-room temperature
1 tsp honey
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp smoked sea salt
Makes 1 10-inch cast iron pan
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
½ cup unsalted butter-melted
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup white sugar
1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
½ tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup All Purpose flour
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
Prep time 30 minutes
Make the Butter
- In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients until smooth
- Place the butter onto a sheet of parchment paper and using the paper to keep your hands clean, roll the butter into a log
- Place the butter into the fridge and cool until firm
- Remove the butter from the fridge and cut into disks to place on the warm cornbread.
Make the Cornbread
- Preheat the oven and a 10-inch cast iron pan to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine melted butter, eggs, honey, sugar and buttermilk. Mix until well combined.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients together – the cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt and cheese.
- Add your wet ingredient into the your dry 1/3 of a cup at a time, mix until combined (a few lumps are ok)
- Remove the hot cast iron pan from the oven and melt 1 Tbsp of butter into the pan, swirling it around to coat the pan well.
- Pour the batter into the pan and place it back into the oven to cook for 30 minutes, or until cooked through (prick with a toothpick and if it comes out clean it is cooked)
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes
- Add honey cinnamon butter to the top
chef spencer in action!