Don’t settle when it comes to your cocktails. Take the time to make a great drink and enjoy it! Take it from a man who loves bourbon: this here will change your life.
Brown Butter Bourbon
( can be done ahead)
1/4 lb/113 g unsalted butter
16 ounces of Bourbon or rye
Orange simple Syrup
(can be done ahead)
yeild 1 cup
1 cup (250ml) water
1 cup sugar
Peels from 1/2 Orange
Cocktail Recipe (per drink)
1 Egg white
1/8 tsp Five spice powder
2 ounces brown butter bourbon
1 ounce simple syrup (add more if you like it sweet)
2 dashes bitters
Prepare the brown butter bourbon
- Melt the butter in a small pot with high sides over medium heat. Cook the butter until its starts to fry and the milk solids have turned to golden brown releasing a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the bourbon into a large glass jar within resealable lid.
- Place a strainer lined with cheese cloth over the jar and strain the brown butter into the bourbon.
- Cover with a lid and shake to disperse the butter through the bourbon.
- Place in the fridge to solidify the butter and the flavour to infuse for a minimum of 3 hours up to 3 days.
- Remove from the fridge and poke holes into the butter. Strain the brown butter infused bourbon through a fine mesh sieve or cheese cloth into a new clean jar with a sealable lid.
Prepare the Orange Simple Syrup
- Place water, sugar into a heavy bottomed pot. Bring it to a boil over high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add orange peels to infuse their flavour into the syrup. Allow to cool.
- Pour syrup into a mason jar or bottle, seal and keep in fridge until ready to use.
Prepare the cocktail
- Separate an egg white into a bowl.
- Place egg white into a shaker or a jar and add five spice and cover with a lid.
- Dry shake the egg white and five spice for 30 seconds.
- Add brown butter bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup, bitter and some ice to the shaker and cover again with the lid.
- Shake well for another 30 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail into your glass of choice and allow the foam to settle on top.
- Garnish with a light sprinkle of five spice.
chef spencer in action!