There is something soul warming about cheese that is soft and warm on a bit of crisp toast topped with sweet, soft onions and crunchy candied pecans. This version with the earthy kiss of truffle on the toast is delicious and decadent - perfect of one or many!
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Tbsp Balsamic
1 tsp honey
pinch of salt
1/2 baguette sliced
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 Tbsp truffle oil
Salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup of pecans
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (vanilla extract if necessary)
1/2 tsp of all spice
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1/2 tsp of cardamon
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Slice the onions and place into a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil and let them cook down to be soft.
- Add balsamic vinegar and honey and allow to continue to cook.
- Slice the baguette on an angle into 1/4 inch thin slices
- Melt butter gently in a skillet and add truffle oil. Stir to combine.
- Place the baguette slices onto a baking pan and brush with the truffle butter and season with salt and pepper
- Cut the brie into squares (I keep the rind, but it is optional) and place into an oven proof dish.
- Place the caramelized onions on top and around the brie.
- Place the brie in the on the centre rack and the baguette on top rack and cook until done. The baguette will be done in approximately 1-2minutes, the brie in approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Make the nuts while the cheese and bread are cooking.
- Add a butter to a pan and start to melt. Add the brown sugar and mix. Allow to start to caramelize (about 1 minute)
- Add nuts and toss to coat.
- Add spices – vanilla, cardamom, all spice, nutmeg and cinnamon – toss to coat.
- Cook over medium high heat and when the butter stops foaming, scoop the candied nuts out of the excess butter onto a plate lined with foil
- Remove the cheese from the oven. Top with caramelized nut and add some orange zest on top.
- Dig in!